Friday, October 26, 2007

Peru







Hugh and I just returned from a great trek to Machu Picchu, and other environs of Peru. We were accompanied by Bette and Darrell and as always, had a great time with them. They are great travel companions. A trip to Peru mostly involves visiting the ancient Inca ruins including the lost Inca city of Machu Picchu. We trekked and hiked a ton and saw some amazing structures built hundreds of years ago and despite frequent earthquakes, are still standing today. There were an estimated 8 million Incas during the peak of their civilization, but were conquered by about 200 Spaniards. The Spanish brought guns, but also disease which devastated the Inca population. I will post some of the more interesting photos. Kathy Distributing School Kits

/>Practically every photo you take is National Geographic quality due to the rich cultural and archeaological heritage there. There is a lot of poverty there. We brought about 75 school kits to distribute to the children. We wished we had brought 7500. The children were so excited to receive a gift and when they saw the contents, I had children waving American dollar bills in my face wanting to purchase one of our kits. I will post a photo of a child with one of our kits. It was fun to interact with the children with my un pico espanol.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hi, i stubbled across your blog while i was researching. I am thinking of doing something very similar for a class assignment. I am going to make school kits to deliver to kids over there.
Will you be able to give me some advise? What kind of stuff did you put in the kits? How did you pack them? Are there any issues that would be good to know about?
I am very interested, and would love to hear back from you.
thank you.
Jennie williams. my email: jennieproc@gmail.com