Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

If you know me, you know I love to dress up. Halloween is such a fun holiday. There is little stress involved (as opposed to Thanksgiving and Christmas.) The traditions are not as steep; it doesn't have to be perfection. It also works that we have a pretty well-stocked costume closet. We just save stuff. Cheerleading outfits from Oly High, Football jersey, graduation gowns--just stuff. Sometimes we even buy something that we might need someday for Halloween. That's how I got the ruby slippers. I've owned them for a dozen years but never worn them. And years ago I bought a blue checked jumper from Talbot's but always felt like the farmer's daughter when I wore it, so it ended up in the costume closet. But this year, those items emerged from the closet and I became Dorothy. The trick or treaters love it when adults dress up. I could hear them through the front door..."Oh look, she's Dorothy." One asked me, "Where's Toto?" And of course, he was right there in his basket.
I'm not the only one in the family that loves Halloween. Believe it or not, Nacho Libre is a big favorite with Whit and Ty. And Hugh always finds a way to scare the bajeezus out of the neighborhood kids. Of course, Dorothy did need a wizard to get back to Kansas.

3 comments:

Church Fam said...

We look forward to seeing those costumes in person. I also wanted to see a picture of the shoes. :)

tiffchurch said...

Whao, Hugh is one crazy Wizard! Ty

Ashley K. said...

Those are great. :0