Saturday, April 3, 2010

Isn't It Always the Children?

You travel to Africa to see the animals, but isn't it really about the children. There were so many heartwarming and heartbreaking images I couldn't capture, but here are a few I treasure.

Children in the mountaintop country of Lesotho. We drove 2.5 hours on a bumpy road with hairpin turns perched on high cliffs. Climate is too cold to grow much. Almost everything is imported over the dirt road. They raise mohair sheep for export. The average salary is $10 per month. The teenagers work as shepherds. These two tried to earn a bit of money by entertaining us with this "musical instrument." Begging is frowned upon. They must do something for money from the tourists.

A favorite little girl from Shakaland. When it was time for the group dance, she came into the audience of tourists and chose me by taking my hand and walking me to the "stage."


This one reminded me of Ella. A girl with Attitude!


Zambian Friends


Reminded me of Nelson doing his homework.

This boy caught my eye. He seemed to be the only child "playing." He had made a "car or bus" with this milk carton. The wheels are bottlecaps and he pushes it with a stick.

1 comment:

becca said...

i love these pictures! It looks like a fun trip. This way...we all get to take a trip to Africa with you! love you. see you soon.