Monday, September 1, 2008

All Summer Long

All summer long I have coaxed Jeneseri to jump off the diving board. Usually a pretty outgoing and fearless kid, he absolutely refused to do it. He was really afraid of dying. I always promised to save him if he did, but he still wouldn't do it. But TODAY, he did it! Of course, I had to get Hugh to stand in readiness to rescue him, so that I could take the photo, but he DID it. I am so proud. He has gone from not swimming a stroke, to jumping off the diving board and swimming the length of the pool in less than sixty days, with really nothing more than encouragement and very simple swimming "lessons" from me. After the first jump, he immediately climbed back on the diving board for a "dive" into the pool. It is amazing what kids can learn just by watching TV (see the Olympics post two weeks ago.)

No comments: